Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:06 AM
Hi,
thx for your great work !
I've downloaded the latest Dotnetnuke DKp version and install it to my system (latest dnn version). Everything seems to be fine. If i add the tss_dkp module to my testpage i get the folliwing error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Have i done something wrong ?
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2008 at 3:50 PM
Do you get this error by just putting the module on the page, or do you get it by interacting with the module in some way?

Also, what version of DNN are you using?
Mar 18, 2008 at 1:46 PM
Hi,

sry for late reply. I'll get this error by putting the module to page. I'm using DNN 4.8.1.

Greets
Mar 18, 2008 at 4:12 PM
At least I notice same error when trying to sync with armory without pre-setup correct setting in admin panel for tss_DKP, but uninstallation with file deletion and re-install didnt produce any error.
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2008 at 4:46 PM
I'm going to try setting up a new install of 4.8.1 tonight to see how things go. Is this still an issue with release 0.9.0 Beta?
Mar 20, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Salaza wrote:
I'm going to try setting up a new install of 4.8.1 tonight to see how things go. Is this still an issue with release 0.9.0 Beta?

As for my post, that issue come with 0.9.0 Beta because you dont have armory sync before. Seems you dont check valid configuration param before trying to sync with armory.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2008 at 11:15 AM
@NSentinel - Did you try to sync before specifying Realm and Guild, or did you try to sync after specifying Realm and Guild using bad values?
Mar 20, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Salaza wrote:
@NSentinel - Did you try to sync before specifying Realm and Guild, or did you try to sync after specifying Realm and Guild using bad values?

There are no problems I just check sync before specifying any value just for experiment. I remove old version, install new version (without any configuration) and try to sync and got null reference exception error.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2008 at 2:12 PM
K, I'll add a check for that. Null.NullString's return can be weird at times.
Jul 6, 2008 at 12:23 PM

How do you initiate a sync?  I only see a couple configuration items.  Is there a scheduled task or something I need to kick up?

Row Count:
Game:
Region:
Realm
Guild:

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2008 at 9:40 AM
Once you have provided that information, you should see the Sync with Armory link back on the module's Player page. If you aren't seeing that, then you robably need to make sure that your account belongs to a membership role that is authorized to edit the module.
Jul 14, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Yea filled all that information in.  When I commit it is when I get the object reference error discussed in the other thread.

Doing all this with a default test DNN installation of 4.8.4 and host credentials.

Maybe I'm dumb enough to look at the source code and see if I can figure it out...  I'm an IT engineer and learning some .net development wouldn't hurt me.
Coordinator
Jul 15, 2008 at 10:01 AM
My demo server seems to be upset with me at the moment, but maybe this is just a use-case I failed to anticipate. What information are you putting into the fields? I can try plugging it into the demo site to see if I can get the error there. That dnn install runs 4.8.1.
Aug 13, 2008 at 1:19 PM

I am having a similar problem.  Upon viewing the event log I found the following error;

The virtual path '/DesktopModules/tss_DKP/tss_ucDrops.ascx' maps to another application, which is not allowed.

Any ideas?

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2008 at 3:52 AM
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I'm only now getting my boxes unpacked from my move.

This is an interesting error. Do you only see it when attempting to load the Drops section?
Nov 8, 2008 at 10:26 AM
Salaza,
Just dropping a note - I get the object reference error which many people have been referring to; i'm trying to use it on the current DNN of 4.9.  Also noticed you mentioned you were interested in possibly other people joining you on this module's development - I would be interested.  Are you still wow'ing, plan on continuing with the module, etc?
Oh - as for my error, shows up immediately upon adding the module to a page, before doing anything to interact with it.  Does not go away after going into the setup and setting region/guild/server, etc
Coordinator
Nov 11, 2008 at 3:46 AM
I'm still playing, probably more than I should. The guild I'm in now isn't DKP based, so I'm certainly working less on the module. Also, with the expansion out in two days (go go midnight release), I'm not going to be focusing on this much.

As far as this error is concerned, if you have access to your host log, the details of the event entry for this error would be nice. I did a completely vanilla install on Windows server 2003 R2 with DotNetNuke 4.08, and there were no errors. Even now, I think the site is working.

It's possible the bug is related to server configuration itself, so maybe if you can get me the detaisl of the entry, I could get a better idea of what's going on.
Coordinator
Nov 11, 2008 at 3:56 AM
Sorry, completely forgot to comment on your offer to support.

If you're interested, we can certainly look at your skill set and see what you'd be good at trying out. There's a few thigns I would like to add to the module that would make it easier for data entry, etc.

Easies thing would be to log on to Ysera and look me up. I'm either on as Salaza, Gelfia, or Riya... or not at all. :)