Everquest 2 and dnndkp ^^

Nov 12, 2008 at 1:01 PM
Hi there :)

First of all thank you very much for this brilliant initiative :)
Second, and as I stated it in the title of this post, I'm quite interested to use DNNDKP for my Everquest 2 Guild :)

I managed to re-create classes, levels, races, etc. but I'm stuck with the Items part.
The problem I have is when someone tries to add a new item, your code checks if it is stored on WoWHead database, and if it is not, returns an error message.
It is clear that Everquest 2 items won't appear on WoWHead ^^ So, it would be great if you could tell me what to do in order to be able to add an item 'freely' :)

Thanks in advance !

Krako.

P.S. : I understand but don't speak VB.NET fluently, I'm  C# fanboy :) ^^
Coordinator
Nov 12, 2008 at 3:20 PM
The check for whether or not an item should reference wowhead was going to be based on the module's game setting. If you want to bypass that, then I'd basically conditionalize that section of the code.

Something like:

if "WOW" then ...

else ...

end

In regards to the database itself, there may be some requirements for the items tables that require non-null values in all fields. If that's the case, then empty string values would need to be provided for insert and update queries.

Shamefully I admit, the module is not friendly to other MMORPG's. It's a work in progress.
Nov 13, 2008 at 4:49 AM
Thanks for replying so fast ! :)

So, do you think I'll be forced to recompile the dlls and reinstall the module all over again ?
I admit I'm not used to DNN module development and it scares me a little :) ^^

If I've got no over choice I'll give it a try, but are you sure there's no other way or change I could apply to the runtime code or data to make it work ?

Thanks again and again for your work 'in progress', really :)

Krako.
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2008 at 5:27 PM
I'm fairly confident this would require changing the code-behind. The problem here is that when you tell the module to add an item, it has several things that it does to get that item into the database. One of those things is to parse wowhead and dump the item info into the database.

If you wish to not do this, or to do this with a different source, then there would need to be code to support that. My vision for a multi game module was to try and identify different sites that could serve as sources depending on the game. Then when a user specified that they were adding an item, the process would be governed by that Game setting in the module.

I believe I've finally got things worked out as far as my network goes, but WoW just released an expansion, so I'm having a little bit of fun playing atm. I should be back to coding in a week or so.