Item database support

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2008 at 5:02 AM
This has been some what of a sore spot with me. Keeping the item database current is obviously a huge deal. How best to do this?

The direction that I'm leaning toward is to create a web service that basically offloads updates from the actual source. Hundreds or thousands of DNN DKP sites would communicate with the web service hosted specifically for this module, and that web service would have fairly advanced code designed to minimize communications with various websites that already benefit from hundreds of thousands of users that run their particular 3rd party software. I believe anything less would result in angry website owners, etc.

Comments? Suggestions?
Jan 6, 2009 at 1:30 AM
Wouldn't it be possible to make some kind of text document that us users can download when the database gets outdated and then we can upload it using some kind of tool on the dkp site and then it will add the items and the mobs and all that kind of stuff?
Coordinator
Jan 6, 2009 at 6:57 PM
So basically in addition to the web service route, have a static file updater kind of thing. I think that's a good in between for the automatic (xml service) and purely manual (web interface) methods of updating things.

For the XML service, this will be something purely on my end. I'll probably have to manually feed the service mob names, and it will fetch loot tables for those mobs. I'll probably only track drops down to the rare level, as this covers most spell drops as well. End users such as yourself using this xml service would then simply click a button to update and mobs, zones, and items would be updated automatically.

As far as updates and such, I know it's been a while. There will be an earnest effort to get back to development now that most of my characters are raid worthy again. I have verified that the module works with DNN 5.0.0 and MS SQL 2008 Express.
Jan 7, 2009 at 5:36 PM
I don't think you even need to add Rare drop since it's mostly used for raiding only and that's only epic quality, so that should be fine :)

I'm rly looking forward to new updates since this is the best dkp system i have seen so far where you don't need php (which i hate :P )
Great job making this!

Cheers
Coordinator
Jan 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM
Angst for PHP solutions was part of my reason for making this module. I also wanted something that fully integrated with the native code base and used the portal's user directory.

Some forum modules still suffer from this kind of problem where the user directories are separate, and in those modules, it can lead to major headaches.