Huge change incoming!

Coordinator
Jan 16, 2009 at 5:12 AM
So I was poking around on my guild's recent WWS report when I realized that the WWS report had a really nice tooltip interface for spells referenced on Wowhead.

Curious I was... quite.

So I poked around and wouldn't you know, during the time I was not working on this project, Wowhead came up with a most excellent method of interfacing with their database. All I have to do is add a little javascript to the module and all item links and many other kinds of links will be tied back to Wowhead in real time.

What does this mean for the module? HUGE things... the updater is going to be much easier and our database will no longer hold the data. Everything, I mean everything, will be more stable. I'm so giddy, this just made my day.

Anyways, it'll be a while till this gets introduced. It's going to be a big change.

Hue, unfortunately this is going to push everything back maybe a month. The planned 0.1.1 is getting axed. I'm jumping straight to 0.2.0 which will include an updater still, but it'll be very different.
Coordinator
Jan 16, 2009 at 6:09 AM

I'm waiting on Wintergrasp, so thought I'd add some more to this post.

When it comes to keeping the database current, I was mainly concerned about two datasets. The first is the data which governs the purpose of the module like instances, mobs, drops, and items. The second is a set of data that is frankly invisible to the user, and this may come as a surprise, but it's the dataset that supports the display of item stats when looking a tthe item lists.

Surprisingly, when I created the module, the only service available from Wowhead was the xml feed. When an item was created by a user in the module, this feed was scraped to get the data we needed to display links. Keeping that scraped data current was going to be a formidable effort, but it now looks like we don't even have to store that information.

Major YAHOO!

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:46 PM
I'm both sad and happy about this.
Sad because it's gonna take longer, happy because it's gonna be that more awesome.

So i would say i'm mostly happy!
Cause this sounds rly cool!

I stilll have a lot of work on the addon, so for now you have plenty of time  ;)

I'm gonna wait anciously for any updates!
Jan 17, 2009 at 12:02 AM
How is the module working on DNN 5.0?
Cause i think i'm just gonna have to use the old module untill you are rdy with the new one.
Coordinator
Jan 17, 2009 at 1:30 AM
Release 0.1.0 is compatible with DNN 5.0.0.
Coordinator
Jan 17, 2009 at 4:55 AM
I've updated the test site to demo the use of the new stats display for items. There's a few things to work out still, but it's getting there.

The biggest thing will be generating new SQL scripts for upgrading. I'm removing columns from the tss_Items table, and several of the stored procedures are changing.