Pulling mah hair out!

Coordinator
Mar 12, 2009 at 10:16 AM
If you've done some ASP developing, you may be able to help me with a problem I've been hitting my head against for a few days.

The problem seems to have something to do with the grid. For example, if you take a look at the demo site @ http://dnndkp.sytes.net, you might notice that I'm trying to add image indicators to the headers in the player grid to identify sorting... yet it doesn't quite work right. On the first load, no sort indicator is displayed at all. On subsequent post backs, the code changes that should have been displayed finally "catch up".

I've noticed this "lag" when trying to set other Grid properties. None of my tinkering with trying to change the grid at different events seems to work.

My efforts to find solutions on the web are proving to be futile...

I did find someone else who had a similr problem, but no response was amde to their solicitation.

In case I haven't explained it well, here's the same problem in their words.

"I am trying to programatically change my HeaderText. I can change the foreground and background colors and everything render fine. But, if I change the HeaderText, the header will not actually render with the text I set it to. Oddly, on the next postback, the subsequent render will reflect the HeaderText change I set from the previous postback."

Any thoughts?
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2009 at 10:50 AM
Well... seemed to find a solution...

http://www.pederborg.dk/2007/01/25/changing-gridview-column-headertext-at-runtime/

It would make sense that if the GridView is plagued by this bug, then the DataGrid probably has it as well. *sigh*
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2009 at 6:05 AM
Edited Mar 13, 2009 at 6:10 AM
Aight, fixed this. As the demo site now demonstrates, sorting + sorting indicator is working. I've also moved the sorted column and the sort direction into the cookie.

Sorry 1.5 is taking a while to get out, have had raiding the last two nights which owns my dev time.

In other news... still using DataGrids, so all you ASP .Net 1.1 users don't need to worry. You may want to consider eventually upgrading to 2.0. I expect the ASP 1.1 version of DotNetNuke will be discontinued in the very near future.

Oh, also wanted to add that the code is getting a huge revamp in 1.5 and grid columns can now safely be reordered without having to recompile the module. Just open the grid's aspx file and move the entire templatecolumn that defines the column you want to move. If you want to hide a column, just set the templatecolumn's visible property to false in the aspx.
Mar 13, 2009 at 11:04 AM
Edited Mar 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM
Nicezorz!

Take your time, we can wait!

Btw i still think it's a bit hard to read Shamans and Death Knights in the leaderboard.
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2009 at 12:54 PM
No more difficult than EQDKP!

You're more than welcome to change it to a color you like. It's all handled in the module.css file, and identifying what needs to be changed is fairly straight forward.

I look at it this way, I provide a base CSS. If you don't like it, change it, and keep up with those changes from upgrade to upgrade. I'll do my best to provide stability in what styles will be recognized and where.
Mar 14, 2009 at 10:35 PM
Ok cool as long as it's not something static :)