What's in the works for 1.6 and beyond?

Coordinator
Mar 17, 2009 at 12:01 PM
Edited Mar 19, 2009 at 2:46 AM
I'm taking about a week off before I start on the next version, so here's your opportunity to rate some ideas for the next release.

Raid Importer

This is probably public enemy #1. For awhile I've been trying to think of how to best handle this feature. Do we put the feature in the Tools section or do we leave it in the Raids section? Tonight, I feel it's probably best to leave it in the Raids section. We could easily do this by using what we have now. After the raid import string is provided, if anything new needs to be added to the libraries, we could expand the edit panel to list the actions that need confirmation. I think making users bounce back and forth between the two sections could get really annoying, really fast.

The other thing to consider about the raid export module is that it really provides a good deal of data we don't handle. For example, we don't store a player's guild. We assume everyone in the system is in the guild. In theory we could add the ability to store non-guildies as well.

Tier System a.k.a Multiple DKP modules per DNN site tied to different DKP systems

This will eventually be an issue, I'm sure of it. Getting this one done is going to be massive. There will be significant changes at all levels... user interface, programming, and database. I've been trying to hold off on it so that we could get some other things done before tapping this, but I think stuff like Ulduar is just going to make not having it... painful. The process for getting this done will basically be as follows:

All database tables and stored procedures need to take into consideration a new input parameter: BoardID. A BoardID will correspond to an entire collection of Players, Raids, Loots, Drops, Mobs, Instances, Items, and Rosters. What defines the purpose of Board is up to the DKP admin, but I think Tiers will most likely be thing.

With the database restructured, a new section will be added to the DKP user interface that's accessible only to DKP Admins. In this section, you can make and define Boards. A Board definition will include a lot of the same kind of stuff we currently store in the module's Settings. Things like Guild, Realm, Game, and other stuff. Boards can be added, deleted, and updated.

The final step will be to change the Settings section. It's not enough to make a collection of Boards. Each DKP module instance you slap down on your site needs to be associated with one of those Boards to be able to interface with that Board's data. To do this, we'll use each module's Settings panel.

The comforting thing in all of this is that this approach is not new. We will not be reinventing the wheel. Typically this kind of scheme is seen in modules for forums systems, where the interface allows for multiple boards, and then the Settings panel actually ties the module to one of those boards. Still, it's going to be a lot of effort.

Scheduled Tasks

This idea is one I've seen around in some highly customized DKP systems, and I'd like to think we could eventually support it as well to add another niche to this system.

Scheduled Tasks is a DKP admin level type of thing that would allow for scheduled DKP adjustments and other maintenance activities. Say you have a system where you monthly depreciate all saved DKP for each player by 5%, or after killing a mob X times you want to lower that mob's DKP reward by Y%. Doing that now would be a huge pain. Scheduled Tasks would make it very easy. I'm thinking we could pull this off as a Service installed along with the module in DNN. I haven't thought much about user interface changes to support this feature.

Enchanced Mob DKP

I haven't seen this done much in other systems, probably because it's crazy hard to implement a coherent UI for it... but I'm wondering if we wouldn't benefit from allowing an unlimited number of DKP values to be assigned to a mob. Right now, we only store one value per mob. If you want more than one value, you have to make more than one "copy" of that mob. I'm wondering if we couldn't do better. The benefits of this kind of system would be that you could get by with making just one mob, unless you wanted to separate loot tables between difficulty modes. Displaying this information would be a headache, I'm sure.

Better Customization Support

Right now, there's a few things that I think are kind of annoying depending on what kind of system you're running. For example, maybe you don't care about seeing the time of raids and player joins in your grids... stuff like that. These are things we need to allow DKP admins to change easily, especially if the only way to change them would be to get the source and recompile. Start your lists now.

Filtering

I think it'd be nice to get this in soon. I have some ideas for how to do it. Compared to other ideas, do you think we really need it?

Player Rank

I think we can safely get rid of this. Not sure why I picked it up really, but I think it might be better served by storing things like Spec Type here.

Bookmarking

Going to try to add bookmarking support for some commonly visited areas.

All Raids in Player Detail

I think it'll be better to display all the raids in the Player Detail section so hard core players can better detect what raids they should have been on if their attendance is suspect. Missed raids will have a different colored background.
Mar 18, 2009 at 10:17 PM
Edited Mar 18, 2009 at 10:18 PM
I've noticed something. I don't know if it's only my site but shouldn't attendance calculate from member joins and then per 30 days. I have a problem with some members not being able to get their attendance up because of that because it only calculates lifetime.
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2009 at 10:59 PM
Edited Mar 19, 2009 at 7:24 AM
It should only calculate an attendance based on last 30 days or join date, whichever is the shorter time period.
Mar 18, 2009 at 11:27 PM
well that's not the case on my site. I don't know if you have the login info i gave you but incase you don't check it out at
www.nium.dk
test
asdasd34
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2009 at 11:38 PM
Edited Mar 19, 2009 at 7:23 AM
What would help the most is if you could export a script for recreating your dkp tables and data. Zip it up and file attach to a post.
Mar 18, 2009 at 11:52 PM
Ok how do i do that :P
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2009 at 12:36 AM
In your SQL explorer, if you right click on the database, you'll see a menu option "Generate scripts..." under "Tasks". You'll be asked to pick the database, then be shown a panel of scripting options. You want to be sure to script the data. Then it might ask you for what tables you want to script. Just pick the DKP tables. I don;t need the DKP stored procedures.

The reason being is that this is a complicated query. I simply can't generate in test form the data you've collected. With your data, I should be able to put this to rest.
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2009 at 12:54 AM
At a glance, I would say things are working.

The system is reporting that within the last 30 days, 83 events have been marked as attendable. I think htis is sound since there's over 150 events in your database.

People who haven't been in the system for the full last 30 days are showing an attendable count that's less than 83. Makes sense.

Could you point me to a specific player that is having an issue?
Mar 19, 2009 at 1:23 AM
Hmmm now when you mention it it does look about right... I was looking at "Nightmäre" his numbers just seemed wrong, but maybe he has just been slacking!!!!! :P

And yeah i can see some of those who joined later than I also has the same number 83, so it's just me who are drunk or something :P

Sorry to waste your time, but thx again.
Mar 19, 2009 at 1:26 AM
Edited Mar 19, 2009 at 1:27 AM
Btw all the new features is really awesome. All my fellow guildies loves the leaderboard. It's so much easier to see ones dkp now.
I just love it!
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2009 at 7:23 AM
side note, I've been trying to get the KA raid tracker mod to export these "standbys" as it professes to be able to do... have yet to get it to work. It'll record participants, but it won't export them. You've been warned!
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2009 at 7:34 AM
Heu, I notice that you have some maintenance type mobs identified as "Attendable", that might be where you're seeing some weird stuff in your attendance.
Coordinator
Mar 22, 2009 at 9:41 PM
A note on the raid importer. The software says to use the Plain Text but really it's programmed for the CVS.

Also, the confirmation step is simply going to be replaced by the error output reformatted into a format that says what will be created and then you can click a confirm link and it'll do the deed. I had gran visions for this, but I think in the end, it's better to keep it simple and see if that works well enough.